January 4, 2010

Yakuza New Years

I hope I don't get in trouble with them for posting this one, but I spent the turning over of the year surrounded by local gangsters at a bar they own while singing karaoke. Unlike Western shady types, they can be pretty amiable and fun to hang out with. And the boss sings wicked awesome, I kid you not.

I have just enough しぶい (shubui, old-school) chops to hold my own at the mic.



This guy is not the boss, but he has a sweet demon tattoo. If I ever get one, it'll be this style.

This post brought to you by the society of bloggers that worry their poor moms.
--
This has been a mobile post; click the pic to visit my mobile post album.

3 comments:

  1. "Unlike Western shady types, they can be pretty amiable and fun to hang out with."

    I don't know about that. I wouldn't say that I've exactly "hung out with" Western shady types, but I have at times been in a bar or at a party with American bikers, mafia or ex-cons (America puts such a large percentage of its population in prison, I can't imagine how anyone could live in the U.S. and never meet an ex-con)and one thing that really surprised me was how amiable and sociable they were.

    When you think about it though, it's not really surprising; by definition, their friends and associates are people who might resort to sudden violence if they felt offended in any way. That's an environment that encourages the development of social skills and an appreciation for a certain etiquette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think bikers are shady types per say.

    I met an excon in a Midwestern bar once who was definitely not friendly, though he did sit at our table, tell his about his murder conviction for beating a guy to death, and generally act cagey about event the most casual of our actions. Give me yakuza any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is time for you to come home now.
    Mum

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.