August 18, 2008

Still Alive

I'm not one to go long without poppin' out a post, but no nets makes for a lack of inspiration. Well, there is inspiration, but I forget it by the time (day) that I can actually make it to a computer. One of the thoughts that has been swimming around in my head is that the universe conspires to help me, but not necessarily all that hard. Lazy universe. I may have found the perfect job; the interview went great. But I wasn't interviewed by the people who are actually in charge of the money. So I have a good recommendation versus someone else's face time. Nobody has tried to be my student through the teaching website I joined. I lower my fees each day in desperation.

There was some jerky guy that tried to leave a comment on my last post, where I asked for donations if people felt like it. He said that everyone in Japan is rich and that food is cheap. "300 yen ramen in the streets of Tokyo". Let this pauper redress you, friend: People without jobs, people paying tuition, are not rich. This isn't the bubble economy. Second, this weird thing about ramen. First, I have never seen ramen that cheap that wasn't freeze-dried and waiting to be cooked by me. Second, what kind of person lives off ramen? Eating healthy takes a little cash.

But there are tons of little expenses in Japan. For instance, the trains are more expensive here. It doesn't make any sense; a hundred people jammed into the car, and it costs twice as much as the countryside to get anywhere.They must be raking in the profits here to distribute their losses in rural areas is all I can figure. Taken right from the government model, that. And I should know. I'm the engineer on the crazy train to poor town.

4 comments:

  1. 300 yen ramen is exagerated. Yeah, until recently, scraping money in big towns and subsidizing countryside towns' transport was how it worked. But now, no longer. That's why there's less and less public transport in the countryside and less and less work and more and more exodus. Downward spiral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Clay. I know things may seem gloomy now but the end result will make it all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whilst on a study tour to Japan with my school two years back, some friends and I discovered a 189yen Ramen restaurant in Hiroshima. To find ramen that wasn't instant under 1,000yen was heaven T^T

    Anyways, still staying alive ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Hiroshima, and you're probably talking about "Bikkuri Ramen." You get what you pay for, and the eponymous Bikkuri generally pays a visit about an hour after you go to bed. The toilet is never quite near enough.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.