May 21, 2008

This is Your Brain on Japanese Drugs


This is the one and only warning against drugs I have seen in my time in Japan. Kids usually have one of two things on their pencil cases here: swastikas or marijuana leaves. The teachers have no clue what it means; I've asked. They don't seem concerned at all when I tell them the meaning. Whatever, crazy foreigner. There also never seems to be anything like assemblies where a guest comes and explains why drugs are bad, m'kay. I could be missing such events though. I did see an old man come to talk to the children about the bomb at least. Oh and there was "what to do if a crazy guy comes to the school" and fire preparedness days. But anyways, teachers seem more concerned about cell phones than drugs. If someone gets caught with a cell phone, there are days of meetings about it.

6 comments:

  1. How could you possibly let a DRUG ADDICT come and talk to your students!!!???

    Admitting you have the life threatening disease that is addiction is just not an option in Japan. Unfortunately. You'll be banished from society.

    This country's got a big problem with speed though. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really thought about it. But that may be because I tend to be out and about instead of watching tv when I'm over there. But it's a good point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot playboy bunnies on the pencil cases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the way to my station is a tunnel with drawings and paintings exposed from the neighboring art class.
    And every other month is "drug prevention" themed, apparently, so I see quite a lot of that "drug kills" thing.

    But true thing marijuana leaves are everywhere here. And they don't know what it means. Swastika is an old buddhist symbol, though, so no big deal here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Religious use is fine, but I see unmistakably Naziesque imagery around here

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.