May 29, 2008

About the Hopeless Romantic

After four years, I've finally gotten around to introducing the blog properly here.


That's me, Claytonian. Actually I only look suave as I do in that picture due to the sexy lighting.

This blog started in 2004 as an mundane outlet for my lovelorn broodings in college. I embraced the pathos in life's beauty, and became The Hopeless Romantic. The one and only. Eventually, I got better. Well, by better I mean grouchier and older. It's called maturity. But I still have enough idealism (read: stubbornness) to keep the Hopeless Romantic title.

Now (as of July 2005 thanks to a now ended stint in the JET Programme ) I live in a land where "Hopeless Romantic" doesn't have a very adequate translation (though I have heard the word ロマンチスト). Anyways, yes, I am in Japan. There are ninjas, and yakuza, and giant monsters and nouns that we don't pluralize sometimes because they come from another language.

Things that are great about Japan: conveyor-belt sushi, used manga and video game stores, kimonos, tatami, odd movies, and instant celebrity wherever I go for being the tallest guy around.
Things not so great: discrimination, heat, cold, car taxes, and bureaucracy.

I plan to stick around for a while yet; soon I will celebrate my fifth Japanniversary.
----
I recommend looking at the archives if you want to see what makes me tick, but here are some of my favorite posts:
The revelation post
An interview with a shlocky horror movie's star
The best EQ test ever, coded by me
My first Birthday in Japan

7 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I'm actually a Nursing Student in Florida and i have been infatuated with anime and manga since i was 7.

    Right now I'm following those "Learn Japanese" guides you have on your website. Hopefully learning the language will get easier as I try to learn the words.

    Keep up the awesome posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which part of Saitama is home for you? I used to live in Kawagoe when I taught English in 1999. I miss it a lot! I've visited a couple of times since then, and I'm hoping to visit in October.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huzzah for conveyor-belt sushi and boo for discrimination! I'm moving to Japan pretty soon to go teach English in Ibaraki-ken. Your blog cracks me up. keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ^_^ i just found you on youtube somehow through comchan i think... Anyways~ just wondering why did you go to Japan in the first place? watched a few videos and it didn't seem clear... didn't say in your "about me" page either...
    よろしくお願いしま~す ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's probably mentioned in the FAQ video that I came to Japan via the JET Programme. Yes it is spelled that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, missed that video! I plan to apply for JET next year, so I know how it's spelled :P more than HOW you got to Japan, why?

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.