August 31, 2007

It's hard to gage progress

I often get down, not realizing how much progress I have made in the language; it feels like the only way I am progressing is in reading skills. But yesterday, as I was filmed for a commercial for an English conversation class, I realized that it was ten times easier than last year. I only messed up my lines once. There is hope to learn this language.
Soon a little bird called kakitori-kun will arrive to help me in my new goal to take the 2kyu Japanese test in December. But 1kyu is looking improbable right now.

3 comments:

  1. 1kyuu, from the word on the streets, consists of a lot of obscure words that you may very rarely actually utilize. So, if you haven't specifically cracked open an 1kyuu study guide, you probably won't do too well.

    From what I hear, even native Japanese speakers may have trouble with it. (They'd probably pass, but not with what we'd expect of their score) Again, this is just hearsay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard from someone that passed that a Japanese person could pass with a little bit of study. Its an overblown myth maybe.
    It is actually the vocabulary that has me down about 1kyu. I have a book that covers a lot of 1kyu grammar forms, but I recognize most of the words and kanji I know are 2kyu level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I meant in regards to native speakers having trouble, I meant if they just had the test plopped down in front of them one day, no warning. "Try taking this." They'd struggle.

    Of course if they studied before hand, there's no excuse for them failing.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.