June 18, 2007

A couple of friends came down to give me fresh baked crockets (sp?) and see the kitty. I had seen something previously in the evening that I thought they should see, so I had them hop in my car and we went about five minutes into the mountains.
Tara has a nice little park up there, with the word ホタル in its name. Which means it's a place for viewing fireflies.
The site of fireflies blinking in unison over a river in the valley between two mountains is quite magical. Like a strange fictional wonderland. Too bad the season will soon be over.

Then I saw this morning another town in our prefecture has made the Mainichi news for the same thing. I was at the town last year; it had a longer trail but fewer fireflies at once when compared to Tara. If you go to Ogi, you have to go deep into the mountains to get a good view, or so I hear. But anyways, there is a photograph in the article, so check it out. I may try a night shot with my camera tonight and see what happens.
BTW, fireflies make for excellent dates ;)

3 comments:

  1. Croquettes! But since what they (and we) make over here is pretty much the Japanese interpretation, you might as well say コロッケ, except Japanese is harder than French-English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah that's right. Three languages + dodgy spell skills= bad post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fondly remember catching fireflies as a kid. We would gather them in a jar, then pull their abdomens off and smear them on our faces as glow-in-the-dark warpaint.

    I know... I was a disturbed child.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.