January 6, 2007

Best/Worst vacation

I was gonna show you pics and video and bowing deer (no really), but I seem to have lost my SD card adaptor. This isn't the only thing I lost. Oh no. I also lost my shinkansen ticket. Which made me realize that a)there is no reason to order one ahead of time, and b) Japan is a stupid country. Where else do they delete the data of the customer who has bought tickets and screw them over? In addition, I am stupid for not realizing "a)" earlier.

Also during the vacation, I essentially got fired for next year. I applied for a transfer, but my board of education simply didn't hire anybody new, so I can't transfer, and their policy is that I not be rehired because I tried to transfer. And the mayor died, so they aren't ready to hear me out, and I need to meet with the powers that be and beg. That's right, I plan to beg for my job. I may even go full out Japanese and get on my knees and cry, though it is entirely their fault I could not transfer. I will humiliate myself because I love this stupid country, and I'm not ready to leave.

On a positive note, I finally met Beth, who is a friend of a friend, and made some really great friends at the hostel. One was even like a slightly-eerie 23 year old version of me, only he can already speak Japanese fluently. Speaking of speaking, I can. I mean, I've had long conversations* and understood what I was overhearing around me. It's weird. Even my gf noticed the difference one week in Kyoto made. Maybe cause I wasn't surrounded by Saga-dialect, which I still don't get, and never plan to.

There was snow. Snow and deer. Who needs Wyoming?

*I had an hour long conversation with a Japanese nutritionist at the hostel. She, of all people, did not seem to think I could do my new years resolution, which is no "overt" sugar for a year. I did it when I was 16, and I can do it now. The hard part is giving up Cola. Sweet LDS-legal caffeine.

8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your job. If the monbusho was a person, he would be legally insane. Crazy Japanese bureaucracies.

    I used to pre-order my shinkansen tickets also, but I eventually found it pointless. Only once have I had to stand on the shinkansen, but it was after Golden Week, and I only stood from Himeji to Kyoto. The train was packed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what was the good part of the vacation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The job things sucks, but this country (as stupid as it is) is addicting, ne? (YAY I was a positive note for once!) It was great meeting you, too. Perhaps next time I could do more research as to what there is to do...and not try to go places on a holiday. (^_^), this country has so many of them. Oh and thanks again for the tip on the DS Lite, going to look into getting one here shortly. I hope you are doing well now that you are home and that well; I’m up north if you need help with anything…thanks again!
    Mata ne!
    -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have no RSS feed for the site? If I click on the option Firefox gives me, it takes me to some Comic Genesis page that tells me the page I'm looking for doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. long ago I tried to make the feed available to the comic. I don't know why it still goes there; I can't find that url anywhere in the options or nothing. Anyways, try this: http://surrealu.blogspot.com/atom.xml

    ReplyDelete
  6. That does the trick then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I love this stupid country"...
    we all do Clay! we all do!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.