September 13, 2006

そんな感じ

Sometimes I ask Japanese people if they like the rain, cold and fog. They invariably answer no. But I do, and so I honestly respond when they invariably ask me in turn.
There is something about the feeling I get on rainy or cold days; it's hard to put into words. That sit in your house and drink hot chocolate laced with nutmeg, as you play chess (these days go is the game of choice) and maybe watch a scary movie kind of feeling. The autumn leaves being crushed under-foot, and rotting old shrines, covered in tenacious moss, as the mist obscures the mountains kind of feeling. I love it. It's part of the reason I was attracted to Japan. Many people think of this as a hot place, but I think it's at its best when it's cold.
I do my best to tell this to Japanese people. They seem to agree. But that's probably just politeness.

7 comments:

  1. You really need to get more writing done...you have such a wonder way of describing things so the reader can actually feel it...I think you inherited that love of fall from your folks...last year was the first real fall I have felt in a long time and I sure hope this year is the same. Guess I love global warming and what it has done with our weather here in Cheyenne! Glad to see the computer thing is fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your mum, you do have quite a way with words. I still get wonderfully creeped out whenever I remember your description of the trip our group took 'neath the Connor.

    A friend once told me, that certain people have a genetic predisposition to feel happy when it is grey and cold outside as a defense mechanism against seasonal unhappiness.

    ialzlsiz - 'a condition occuring just after dental surgery, when your dentist asks you to pronounce the name Isis.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS This type of weather is a favorite of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "ialzlsiz - 'a condition occuring just after dental surgery, when your dentist asks you to pronounce the name Isis.'"

    A very nice adaptation of our game. I shall have to blog about it!

    atygsvw-- My Austrian bodyguard

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your mum and benny as well!

    And fall is my favorite time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jen=) btw I can't comment on you blog lately; I get error messages.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.