May 31, 2006

You win this round, Japan

"You win this round, Japan." One can often hear me muttering it to myself, usually when I see what is for lunch. Recently, I've had to say it repeatedly while dealing with the Japanese DMV. They are notorious for not passing foreigners (racism), but I can't even get that far yet; I lack certain documents, and when I produce them, they say, "Oh we need more, and not the ones we said at all."
So yes, I say it a lot. And yet I like this place? Why? I think it is mostly because it appeals to my sense of aesthetics. The paradise I envisioned for quiet people such as myself doesn't exist for foreigners (i.e. no one will let me just sit and be myself--I'm always expected to be "on"), but moss, temples, the sea, and the mountains all seem to make up for it. Those things, and six year olds feeling my whiskers and shouting, "Kimochi!" (feels good!).
--
Oh and one aside: Today was apparently my birthday. At least that's what Tan told Lisa or something. So thanks for the "happy birthday" announcement, Lisa. But no presents?!

3 comments:

  1. It's in Walt Disney's will that the first person to impregnate a man inherits half of his fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's "kimochi ii," yo. "kimochi" just means "feeling." Of course you may have known that already.

    - mastodan.eponym.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually it is quite common to simply say "kimochi!" and nothing else. The rest is implied; that's the japanese way.
    A similar example is "Sumetai!" meaning "this ~ feels refreshing"

    So yes, I knew already, and yes this is exactly what the kids said.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.