September 1, 2005

American Humor

This post is a follow up to this one.

In celebration of me finally getting to teach tomorrow, we had a small party at a yakitori shop (where I got a lot more than yakitory, including raw horse and sashimi). At one point, I wanted to entertain my coworkers, so I asked my supervisor to translate for me as I did the following joke, which I was sure would be able to cross language barriers.

Me: Okay, what does an umpire with three arms look like?
Coworkers:...
Me: This!... (This post continues if you expand it)

Well I hope you get the gist of it. Needless to say it's a lot funnier in real life, as friends who have seen it will attest.
Nobody laughed. They just couldn't understand it. "Ano... he has three fingers?"
So I resorted to drawing characters of everyone to round out the night. Luckily, they laughed at those.

One more pic. Of cake. Japanese cake is the best. "This is delectible, I'll have another...MMM! Excellent, as was the first!"

2 comments:

  1. Wow...that's not much better than the spider thing, honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Clay, I thought it was funny, but I'll laught at anything :o)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.